Mainly, this consists of the following:
- Getting my office cleaned up and organized as much as possible (aka finding tiny families of spiders in corners, collecting all the little lego pieces hiding under furniture).
- Organizing all of my computer files:
- You never know what can happen over the summer, and I always make sure that before I leave, I have all my student files organized on my drive, as well as folders that contain activities, etc.
- Making our SPED chart for next year:
- The beginning of the year is always a crazy time, and I like to make sure that I'm prepared going in with a list of kids we have, and what evaluations and meetings we need to start prepping for immediately. I feel one step ahead every Fall for doing this, and it's completely worth it.
- Prepping my 504 Plans for the next year:
- It seems like there are so many 504 plans now, and at the beginning of the year, I like to check in with my teachers about students with 504's before the year starts. Since there are only like 3 days to do this, I don't know how I would get it done beforehand without doing this ahead of time. Every June, I print out all of the plans and a cover sheet for the next years teachers. I also print out a copy of each one for our specialists. In August, I just have to do through and update them with any easy changes that happened over the summer. This has been SUCH a timesaver.
What do you do to prepare?