<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://thecalmcorner.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://box2088.temp.domains/~thecalo7

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Calming Corner: What do School Psychologists do?

Thursday, February 22, 2018

What do School Psychologists do?

One of the questions I often get from those studying school psychology, or just wondering about the profession, is "What exactly do you do?"  Although the way schools in my area are designed, require a lot of responsibilities, I also like it, because there is flexibility in the job, and no one day is ever the same.  So without further ado-





Conduct Psychoeducational Evaluations
I test all students that are being considered for special education services, as well as do triennial evaluations, and all in between.

Write IEP Goals & Objectives
I write goals and objectives for social skills/counseling for all students that get these services on their IEPs.

Design Behavior Plans
I write behavior plans for students in need, usually in collaboration with classroom teachers.  In my last district, I wrote FBA's, but I don't have to do that now!

Case Manage/Administrative Duties
As a school psych, I case manage all 504 plans, meaning all the paperwork, meetings, etc. that goes along with them.  I also have a lot of administrative duties tied to the RTI behavior process.

Attend Meetings
I spend A LOT of time in meetings.  PPT meetings, 504 meetings, meetings for students in intervention, parent meetings, internal team meetings, you name it, I've been to that meeting.

Provide social skills/counseling services to individuals and groups
To balance out all those meetings, I spend a good chunk of my time providing those services outlined on IEPs and 504 plans.  I see some students weekly, some twice weekly, and others every day!

Consult with Teachers & Parents
When I was in graduate school, I enjoyed my class on consultation, but I didn't really get the importance of consultation until I started working on my own.  I love giving suggestions to teachers about dealing with different students, but I also enjoy helping teachers and parents come up with ways they can help students.

Manage Student Behaviors 
Day to day, I am the go to person for behaviors of students I have on my caseload, and regular education students in the school.  Student crying for no reason?  Fighting at recess?  Needs a break from peers?  I'm your go-to gal.

And that, in a nutshell, is what I spend most of my time doing in my current role as a school psych.  Since I know already that this varies, I'd love to hear what everyone else does!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home